We’ve never thought about it until right now, but there aren’t any other holidays (besides some patriotic Fourth of July tunes) where music is so important. While we bake cookies, decorate, the tree, and even do laundry, there’s a good chance we’ll be doing it while listening to the soothing Christmas songs of Bing Crosby or Burl Ives.
There are countless memorable holiday tunes that we eagerly await as the calendar turns from November to December. This includes gems like Chuck Berry’s “Run Run Rudolph,” Otis Redding’s “Merry Christmas, Baby,” and Darlene Love’s “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” But for all the iconic Christmas music, there is a bevy of horrible, annoying, utterly terrible songs. To help you avoid them, we decided to list the top 21 (in honor of the year 2021) worst Christmas tunes of all time. Keep scrolling to see them all.
Ranked! Worst Christmas Songs
21) Bruce Springsteen - 'Santa Claus Is Coming to Town'
20) Maroon 5 – ‘Happy Christmas (War Is Over)’
19) Band Aid - 'Do They Know It's Christmas?'
18) 'NSync- 'I Never Knew the Meaning of Christmas'
17) LeAnn Rimes - 'Carol of the Bells'
16) The Jackson 5 - 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'
15) Michael Bublé – ‘Santa Baby’
14) Elmo and Patsy - 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer'
13) Pussycat Dolls – ‘Santa Baby’
12) John Denver – ‘Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk on Christmas)’
11) New Kids on the Block - 'Funky, Funky, Xmas'
10) Sia – ‘Puppies Are Forever’
9) Gayla Peevey – ‘I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas’
8) The Killers – ‘Don't Shoot Me Santa’
7) Spike Jones and His City Slickers – ‘All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth’
6) NewSong - 'The Christmas Shoes'
5) Justin Bieber - 'Mistletoe'
4) Alvin and the Chipmunks - ‘The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)’
3) Lady Gaga – ‘Christmas Tree’
2) Paul McCartney and Wings – ‘Wonderful Christmas Time’
Christopher Osburn is a freelance writer located in Rochester, NY. He writes primarily about food and drink and has had his work appear on Uproxx, Thrillist, Food & Wine, Paste, Maxim, Men's Journal and a handful of others.